04-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breville View Post
You can easily do this install if you have ramps, but I don't so got BMW to do it. Apparently it's a bit of a pain the arse are you have to drop the mid pipes. I've fitted a SSK to my last car which was just a case of stripping the interior.

Take a look at the DIY forum as there is write up.
Thanks Breville. I checked out the DIY forum but none of those threads describe swapping the carrier. They just point to 335 links that don't need to swap the carrier. I've got ramps - but from reading the threads & having done this on other cars, there's better access if you jack one side of the car up as high as possible and support it with chassis stands. Ramps aren't high enough to give you room to work underneath. I'll have to make adapters to allow my chassis stands to fit the quirky 1 series lift pads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
I drop the mid pipes and the shields and the tail shaft and the top selector plate is a biatch to get past the top of the output shaft, have fun
Thanks Andrew. This is the first time I've read that the tailshaft needs to be dropped. I've read that the transmission can be dropped slightly to aid fitting.