View Single Post
      08-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #95
S4 Driver
Rep
Drives:

Wow there is a lot of miss information and half information in here. First, some of you need to calm down. I'm sure there are people here who have never owned a turbo car so they may ask dumb questions, but don't bite their head off for it.

OK, first I have owned a 02 WRX, 04 STi and now a 01 Audi S4 so I have some turbo knowledge and I would like to clear this up for all.

First a bov and a dv/bpv (dv and bpv are the same thing) do they same function, relieving excess boost pressure when the throttle plate is closed, but they go about it in two different ways. A bov vents the air to the atmosphere and thus giving you the sound. Some like the sound, some don't, its all personal preference. A dv/bpv vents the air back into the intake.

The N54 has dv's because they are quieter and BMW makes luxury cars. But, because the system is a map system you could add a bov if you wanted without damaging the motor. You would only gain a cool or lame (depending on your opinion) sound on a N54 with stock turbos. The shot glass turbos on the N54 are too small to create enough pressure to over power the dv's and thus justify replacement. Should you upgrade the turbos or the stock dv's are pieces of junk (like they are on my Audi) then new dv's or a bov would be something to consider.

As far as someone wondering when a bov has blown a motor just look at the 02-03 WRX. People have blown their turbos by putting a bov on a stock 02-03 WRX. Those years WRX had a pre-turbo cat (a very dumb idea that they stopped doing in the 04 model year) and like all Subarus runs a maf system. A bov on a maf system will cause a temporary rich condition every time you shift. What happens in the extra fuel from running rich burns up in the pre-turbo cat eventually destroying it and sending little chunks on cat into the turbo and thus no more turbo.

I hope this clears things up and can we all play nice. Not everyone has the same idea of what their car should be so don't hate on people who want to do something you don't like. If we all did the same thing the automotive would would be rather boring.
Appreciate 0