View Single Post
      03-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Prototype Dealer-Friendly Duct System

Great job looking into this! I am working on a ducking system right now that will be fully removable to keep the guys at the dealer off my back. I am planning on making a brake rotor backing plate out of 16 gauge steel that will only cover the top section of the rotor (will use only the top two bolt holes) as I do not think it is necessary to cover the entire rotor(I tape all exposed rubber parts near rotor in heat tape just to be safe). I am going to run ducting from the backing plate down to one of the lower arms attached to an intake duct(I think that is what you call it). I found an intake duct that is very low profile, about 2" tall, but is about 6" wide and forces air to a single 2.5" hole in the top. I have already run the ducting itself and it clears everything just fine as long as you don't turn the steering wheel more than 1.25 rotations which you should never have to do at a track anyway and can easily prevent when driving to and from the track. The ducts are not cheap, about 75$ each, but I think they might be just what I was looking for. I will start a new thread once I complete the system but it might be a month or two though (sorry, the tracking hobby is expensive and someone has to pay for it, hence I work lot!). If anyone has tried this or has any input please let me know!
Appreciate 0