02-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Joeyb7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport - AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Lifetime Paint Protection

Xzilon, Simonize, Perma-Plate, DuPont PTFE, Resist-all, etc -there is no polymer, synthetic or natural wax, or after-market coating available that can provide a five year or lifetime protection to a paint film surface; this technology doesn't exist, read the fine print in the contract offered by car dealerships.

There is normally a clause that states you should return the vehicle for a "maintenance" application of the product (at 3 or 6 months intervals) failing to do this will void your warranty or the fine print will basically exclude every condition you could claim against

The primary protection provided for a modern water-based colour coat is a polythene paint that has a thickness of (127 - 178 ) comprise a Primer coat of 2Mils (50 ) a Colour coat of 1-2Mils (25 -50 ) and Clear coat 2-3Mils (50 - 75 ) An applied paint protection product is the entire barrier that provides protection for automotive paintwork besides the clear coat paint and this renewable barrier is probably less than 0.001Mil (0.0254 m)
Agree with all of this info. It's just another money-maker for the dealership. Nothing out there will last for five years and buying an assortment of the best products online is your best bet. It has taken me years to accumulate all of the products I use.
Appreciate 0