View Single Post
      01-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Buying my 1er tonight - what to check for?

I wish I could give you the web page with all the details, but CarMax took it down after I put the car on hold. Anyway, it's a 2010 Blue Water Metallic 135i coupe with everything except Power Rear Sunshade and Active Steering. 46k miles, very recently replaced stock Dunlop RFTs (/groan), but otherwise, a heck of a deal.

I trust CarMax and their inspections when it comes to this sort of thing, especially when they know that I'm flying from from Chicago to Phoenix to drive the car back, but what should I pay specific attention for during the test drive and afterward, when I put it on up on the rack? I've read about the wastegate rattle, and I'm familiar enough with turbo engines to recognize it - I would hope - but what signs might the HPFP give of being on its last legs, aside from massive/sudden drops in power?

The salesman said that I can "test drive it as hard as your bail money can pay for", so I don't think getting any problems to surface should be an issue, but I'm about to drive this car 1800 miles... anything else I should be on the lookout for? CarFax shows the car was a CPO until 42k, then was auctioned by one dealer, auctioned by another, driven for 6k by a private party and then sold to CarMax, so it's not clean, per se, but it could be a lot worse.

Thanks in advance, and I'll post a bunch of pics once (assuming) I go through with buying the car!
Appreciate 0