View Single Post
      09-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have stored boats for the winter for the past 10 years and here's what has worked for me:
-buy some fuel stabilizer. There is some cheap shit for a $3 or some good name brand stuff for $12. Spend the $$ on the good stuff. Park your car with half a tank of gas not a full tank. This way you put in half a tank of fresh gas in the spring and it is good to go.
-a have been told to not start the motor for a short period of time. Grand Praire gets cold and starting it up for 15minutes in 20 below weather is not good. On my boat motor I "fog" the cyclinders with storage oil. Then the cyclinder/piston is covered with oil and you don't get any rust. I don't know if they do this for car motors but ask a BMW service tech and see if they recommend that at all.
-take your battery out of the car and store it inside in a heated area. If it is inside it may hold a charge all winter. Worst case just give a charge before you re-install the battery. I left a battery in a boat one winter and it was dead come spring...and that was in Vancouver so it only saw a few degrees below zero! Yes...it was a fairly new expensive battery!
Appreciate 0