Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

HAVING SAID THAT. These aren't the type of skills that you'll learn on your own, and they're certainly not skills you should attempt without at least some basic fundamentals down already. If you can't look and think 2-3 turns ahead, execute a consistent, nearly perfect line lap after lap at ANY SPEED, balance and steer your vehicle with both throttle and brake at will, comfortably use all the track within less than 1/2 tire width to the edge consistently, able to pick out the ideal line without the aide of someone in the passenger seat, AND be able to drive at least 1-1.5 car width from the ideal line at 95% of the lap time achieved driving the ideal line, then trying to learn to add grip through the hands to either end of the car would be like trying learn to dunk as a 4'9" midget.
This is something that didn't learn on my until after my second CCA school. I wasn't looking at the big picture of what to accomplish while on the track since I was so absorbed in how my car behaved instead of how I behaved in relation to the car. While sitting on the pit lane area, I chatted with a senior member of the driving school to find out what the objectives are in order to move up in class. I thought is was about speed, but learned it was more about consistency and a smooth and controlled handling of the car. I came to realize my ham-fisted driving instincts were not conducive to track driving. I've never had so much fun, frustration, and fear all at the same time.