View Single Post
      04-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #286
naeshy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

Ok, just got this done this week. I did this at the same time I was bleeding the brakes (they were due) since I was going to open the system anyway. I went with the "punching the restrictors out" method and that seems to have gone fine. I ended up losing a lot of fluid as my hose clamp wasn't tight enough and the plug I made didn't work too well... oops.

The hard part was definitely bleeding the clutch line. You have to really crank that bleeder nipple open before you get a path (thanks CGMike for the helpful PMs). Also be careful when tightening and loosening the bleeder nipple... it's plastic and won't hold up to much torque (I started to strip mine before I switched over to a socket to safely break it open). I ended up doing a reverse bleed with a Motiv style DIY bleeder (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdcn1USVQ-w) that worked pretty well once the nipple was open. Word of caution on that, I started to fill the reservoir a lot faster than I intended and overflowed fluid into my engine bay. Go low with the pressure and be ready to siphon off fluid as well as release some pressure on your bleeder to slow it down. No bubbles though after initial bleeding, so hopefully it's clear.

Now on to my question... I didn't get the nipple all the way closed before I took my bleeder off so I got a couple of drips of fluid back out before I closed it. I assume this is ok though since the reservoir was full and I essentially just gravity bled it for a couple seconds? I had to pump up the pedal quite a bit after the bleed but it's fairly firm now and drives fine. The clutch is a lot softer now (like my old Integra) but still seems to catch in the same position. Is this what I should expect from the larger opening in the CDV or is this a mushy, poorly bled line? Just not sure how the modified line should feel vs. a line with air in it.

Thanks for any comments and this thread has been super helpful!
Appreciate 0