03-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
No one is allowed to take passengers for liability reasons. BMW CCA has a long standing record with our insurance policy riders, and no passengers unless it's driven by an instructor is dictated by national policy, which is in terms dictated by the national insurance policy.

Private groups such as SpeedVentures has different insurance policy and because they're smaller groups (BMW CCA National is a HUGE organization) their liabilities and assets does not extend as far and as much as the CCA. And frankly, after what happened with Ferrari Club at California Speedway, I personally do not believe in participants taking passengers myself.

And no one has to sit on the sideline all day. They can get rides from various instructors in instructor's personal cars, and they'll range from 750,000 mile 2002s to 500+ HP C6 Z06es.
Okay, I understand this when it comes to full track days. I see your point. You're hitting speeds of 130mph and rubbing elbows with other cars on the track (sometimes).

My main complaint is directed at BMWCCA Autocross events. This is an event in a parking lot where the cars generally don't go over 50mph. SCCA allows passengers, no problem and I'm pretty sure they are a HUGE national organization as well. I'm just saying- it's a bummer.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0