02-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
obviously i'm still searching, what exactly does any one that starts a thread on this forum hope to gain? that question really needed to be asked? i didnt bash any of the ideas you put forth. not sure why you turned this to be that i'm being unreasonable in thinking there should be more options for the same price instead of everything looking the same. i started this to see what other people have run into. what they have found to work and not work. no need to assume i've exhausted the lengths of the internet, i'll tell you i havent. but i guess according to that statement i should never put something up for people read that might have some useful input, or suggestion, idea, experience etc.. thanks for your thoughts, even with the sarcasm.
Its not necessarily the effort you have put forth that bothers me, but more so the expectations that a well crafted, very specific offset wheel should be both visually appealing to all and dirt cheap in cost while still holding enough quality to last over a handfull of pothole smashes.

The CSL style wheels are popular in the BMW community because of the CSL M3. Thats it. They are fairly easy to replicate and have good structural integrity by design.

How much do you think the materials cost that make up a single wheel. Now add the design time and cost of the mold to then make the wheels (both gravity and spin molded) as well as the cost to use the molding machine, assuming the wheel MFG didnt purchase one already. How many wheels does one expect to have to sell to then break even only on the initial costs. 100? 1000? Average that out and youre still coming in higher than the <$250 per wheel that you seem to be targeting. This isnt even taking into consideration true fully forged wheels that need at least a 20"^3 block of aluminum (probably along the lines of $300/block, a 4"x12"x8" block of high grade aluminum alloy from McMaster Carr is >$250).

What it really comes down to is the old addage (or my current adaptation).

Strong. Light. Cheap.
Pick 2.

Last edited by b1aze; 02-07-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0