View Single Post
      06-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
I have the springs installed now, and next step for me is to add the Bilsteins. That's what I'd recommend since I think it's a better shock than the BMW ones. But the Koni FSD will ride very nice on the street.
thanks. yea, my main goal is to eliminate bounciness on undulating pavement. i hate that twitchy feeling that has the car over-reacting to every change in pavement elevation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
remember that the performance kit comes with sway bars as well..
thats true. im not overly concerned about the sways, as i think id rather spend the money on the m3 front control arm setup.

but maybe the sways are more valuable than I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Why not consider Koni yellows ?
i found them to be a little overly stiff in my previous m3. i like the monotube design of the bilstein over the koni yellow, but am intrigued by the technology behind the FSD's

i just want to make sure that the FSD or bilstein will provide adequate damping for the bmw performacne springs.

i hate the overly aggressive bounce you get from almost all lowering springs, and want to eliminate that as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
My choice of the Bilstiens came from hearing good thinks about monotube dampers in general, and the company's reputation for consistent quality. I feel they are a perfect match for the BMWP springs, ideal damping for the spring rate. Together, they give a ride that is at one time incredibly comfortable while being very responsive and controlled, very secure at speed while encountering bumps, dips, expansion joints etc. Things that would once greatly upset the car are now handled very securely, at any speed.

To be clear, upon picking the car up from my installer and while just rambling out of the pothole-ridden parking lot, my first impression was of a softer feel than I imagined there would be. Upon shooting down some twisty backroads, I was extremely pleased to find lots of taut, firm control. I noticed much less roll, much more fun. After 1,000 miles, I'm still thrilled with how the suspension reacts quickly enough to take the edge off the sharpest impacts, while at the same time maintaining excellent chassis control during harder driving. Their ability to perform well through the entire envelope of driving conditions I experience, is what I wanted and what I got...and on the first try! I sense a high quality feel with these dampers, firm but never harsh, and very secure when pushed. I have to give a mention to the HP Autowerks control arm bushings for giving me more precise steering for not a lot of money. You won't be going wrong with any of your choices.
how does it feel over undulating pavement?

that is my main concern. my car with lowered eibach suspension feels like a bounce-mobile and I absolutely hate it.

as long as it isnt twitcy and over react harshly and bounce up and down quickly and harshly, im all in.

thanks for your feedback