View Single Post
      03-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
There are certain things worth of monitoring... RPM, oil/water temp, etc.
Things that you can do something about. Things that affect your driving style.
Boost? Sure, if you installed a non-OEM turbo, I can see where you want to monitor it, if for nothing else, just to help you sleep at night knowing that it's still working.
But a factory turbo, one that is supposed to be transparent? What can you do about it? Why is it crucial to know what boost number you're running while driving?
It's like monitoring the battery voltage. Some older cars used to come with that guage. Why did they stop? Yeah, nice to know, but what do you do about it while driving?

Like I said, for a hundred bucks, maybe. It's something to watch for entertainment.
But $500? No, thank you. I'm not that OCD.

Yes, PPK provides real power. A lot more than changing exhaust and cone filters. And without affecting fuel consumption nor emissions to boot.
Is your 135i your first turbo car? Serious question.

Monitoring boost levels is crucial even with OEM turbos. I have my 135i modified and I can easily tell if I am hitting my boost targets and/or if I have a boost leak/vacuum leak. If I suspect there is a problem, I can easily check on it to fix the issue. I can also monitor ignition timing in real time which lets me know if timing is being pulled during a pull. This can be due to bad gas or other factors, but the fact is that it will let me know if my car is running optimal or not. It also has a built in code reader so that whenever a check engine light appears, you will know exactly why it threw a code instead of taking it in at a BMW dealership and having them pull the code for you and maybe charging a diagnostic fee lol. Intake air temperatures and exhaust gas temperatures are important parameters to monitor when you are modified as you don't want those temps to be too high.

Obviously all of this may not be important to somebody else, that is why a cheaper version exists. But for me, it is a very handy tool which lets me monitor parameters that I find very important in how my car is running.

PPK adds what, 15-20hp? Yeah I made that much just from switching downpipes lol. It didn't affect my fuel consumption unless its my right foot doing the work.
Appreciate 0