View Single Post
      09-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
ozimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i Coupe

Suspension upgrade options: 125 coupe non M-sport

I have a stock 2010 125i coupe which I use as a daily driver & for weekend cruises, but is never likely to see track use. As a "mature" driver, I want to err on the side of compliance & comfort over outright performance. My goals are to reduce skittishness (esp. the rear end) over minor bumps, and a modest drop of around 20-25mm.

With the current non-sport suspension the wheel centre to fender lip distances are 365mm(F) and 360mm(R) creating a large gap of around 50mm at the top of the tyre to underside of the fender/ mudguard. Tyres are 17" RFT's (205/50 front and 225/45 rear). While I intend to ditch the RFT's at some time in future, the current tyres still have plenty of tread, so I am looking for an upgrade that can work with RFT and non-RFT's. My budget rules out coilovers or the BMW perf suspension kit.

Having searched many threads on suspension upgrades, I have shortlisted several permutations of springs & dampers against a budget of ~A$1000 (parts only):

1. Eibach pro or H&R OE Sport springs with Koni yellows or FSD.
2. Above springs with Bilstein dampers (e.g.., Bilstein B12 pro-kit with Eibach springs).
3. BMW M-sport springs (OE springs on sport 125/ 135) with any of above dampers.
4. BMW performance springs with above dampers (but may exceed my budget).

My concern with the Eibach pro springs is the drop - notionally 1.2" (~30mm), but I have seen pics on this forum of cars with little or no gap at the top of the front tyre, which is lower than I want to go. I understand the other springs I mentioned above should offer a drop of 15-25mm against the non-sport springs (although I stand to be corrected).

Also, my non-sport 125 has no rear anti-roll bar. Is an A/R bar essential given my goals, or should I focus on springs/ dampers first?

In particular, as anyone with the OE M-sport springs upgraded the dampers only - option 3 above?

thanks in advance for feedback.
Appreciate 0