View Single Post
      04-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #18
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
It makes interesting food for thought in light of the discussion above. What makes a car fun? Slip angle? Adjust-ability? Involvement? It certainly isn't simply speed against the clock or G forces, part of the reason I'm such a fan of the manual transmission despite the fact that automatics are now measurable "better" in nearly every way. And I certainly foresee a time in the near future when cars are "too fast", and real driver's cars are the slow ones. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but consider: An 80s Ferrari F40 is, by the clock to 60 mph or through the slalom, not much quicker than a new Honda Accord V6- call it high 4s to mid 5 seconds. Project this forwards 25 years and a sedan will be just behind today's hypercars in terms of speed.

Technology will make this not only possible but reasonably safe, but how much fun can you reasonably have with a Veyron Supersport on public roads today? Driving something like that's a constant exercise in self-restraint. You can deploy 100% of that car for a couple seconds, at best, before risking your license. Maybe fun occasionally, but day in and out I'm not ashamed to admit I'd like something lower and more involving. Where will this leave sports cars when average sporty SUVs and sedans are pulling 10s in the quarter? We'll see, but I for one am looking to get off the "must be faster" train. At least for some of my cars, anyway
^ This EXACTLY... all of it. I couldn't have said it better myself. The driving experience is SO much more than numbers on a spreadsheet... and the adjective of "faster" is just that... faster; nothing more, nothing less. And as cool as that adjective may be, for me anyway, there are about 30 others that I can think of that are more enjoyable... in the "driving experience"

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0