Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Straight-6 View Post
I agree. But for our cars in particular, with the absolutely brilliant factory designed resonator, why the hell would you want to remove that? You’d have to be insane. The res improves turbulent exhaust flow which is good for the engine while smoothing out the sound, getting rid of drone and rasp while tuning the exhaust more to sound how the engineers thought this engine should sound and let me tell you, they did a hell of a job with this resonator that everyone’s just cutting out. I’ve compared resonator vs no resonator on the n52 engine (n54 and n52 have almost the same resonator) and the difference is noticeable, you guys should try it yourselves.

But of course just like to mentioned to each their own. If you want an untuned exhaust note with drone then go ahead.

The general rule is that you want either a resonator or x-pipe. You lose 2-4ft/lb if you don’t have one or the other. That’s means you should NOT replace your resonator wth a y-pipe like the OP asked.
Maybe all of the above you've mentioned applies to your 528i slushbox but please don't generalize that any N52/51 BMWs will sound like shit, will drone, will sound raspy-.. with resonator delete.

As above poster mentioned, 2ndary delete + resonator delete paired with 135i back box is one of the most popular combo for this platform of cars with N52/N51s.. it will not add *drone* like you've mentioned and I can comment on this because I have the exact setup mentioned above. So in another word, "First hand feedback as an owner".
Appreciate 0