View Single Post
      01-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

PSA: ST Coilover Quality Issues & PITA Warranty

Hi guys. Been busy, and it's been a long time since I've posted on here, but I figure I should post on here just to let everyone know of some issues I've been having with ST coilovers.

I bought STs because they're made by KW, and I thought that would mean they are built with quality in mind. Apparently that is not the case. Somewhere between KW's engineering and the actual ST product, quality control was lost.

My set has less than 25,000 miles on it, but one of my coils started making noises like the shock went bad on it. I thought "probably just something loose, no way the shock is bad that soon" so I brought the car in. Apparently, the shock definitely is bad, and this isn't an isolated incident.

My usual shop said they have been having DOZENS of customers come in with ST coilover problems. Since they sold/installed them, they've been losing money on warranty claims and labor time lost, so they just stopped selling them or installing them. They feel very bad about all the customers who have been left with a hole in their pocket or a car left sitting unusable for weeks while trying to fight warranty battles with ST, but there's nothing they can do.

The worst part is that the warranty claim procedure is completely obnoxious. You have to specifically measure ride height and several other parameters, take out the coil, send it in along with the data, and then wait for them to assess whether or not your issue will even be covered. Meanwhile, your car is out of commission for quite some time, and you may not even end up being covered in the end because they seem to like to deny claims if your car isn't within a certain ride height range, etc.

My car is being looked at right now, and I'm having the coilover specs measured and documented, but I'm probably not going to even bother based on what I've been reading and hearing about the process. Why bother going through this headache just to have another shitty coilover crap out on me down the road?

I just wanted to post this to let others know that if possible, stay away from ST. I was extremely happy with mine at first. True, they weren't exactly "sporty" but they were "sportier" and felt like a really nice balance between stock ride comfort and nicer handling. And like I said, being that they're made by KW I thought they would be a quality product, more so than similarly priced Eibach kits. Normally, I wouldn't make a post like this if I was the only one with this problem, but after researching the brand, seeing other people's complains, and being told what I was told by my shop, I want to save others from making the same error in judgement I made.

Incidentally, I am now looking for a reasonably priced replacement, used or new. Anyone have any suggestions or leads?

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0