Thread: N54 vs N55
View Single Post
      08-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #92
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

You two need to read more into the vargas and pure turbos. Those are making great power on the N55 and although they haven't had to stand the test of time they are making great power, in the mid 400's to 500's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, it does. I've been told now by three German tuners this(Tuning Werke / Mannhart Racing / MS Tuning). The N55 can only handle ~360 PS on the internal engine components. higher than that and you will need to start beefing things up.

I've also heard that the N54 was originally designed for 380 PS for use in the Z4 sDrive 3.5is but BMW's board nix'd that idea. I guess that was back when a Z4M model was being considered. Instead we got a badge and trim package'd Z4 in VO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Thanks that was my understanding too, that the motor itself was the weak point, not the turbo or lack of tuning.

Not that its "weak" but the N54 seems to be pretty over built. Lots of people running RB's making 500+ WHP on the N54 platform with a stock motor. I hope to join them some day.

I see so many people talking trash about the JB4, but I've seen plenty of cars running the JB4 and the RB turbos making an easy/safe/reliable 500+ WHP... But of course there are no people selling custom tunes for the JB4...so perhaps that is where some of the confusion is started. Obviously if I were selling my "protunes" I'd be talking trash about the device that does it for you with added engine perimeters and self adapting safety features as well...
Appreciate 0