02-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #23
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
From my perspective, the ISOfix system has it's limitations. Since it's physically latched to the seat base, the restraint will not move in the event of a crash. Hence the only thing restraining the child is the harness and all the load will be distributed on those thin straps. This is less of an issue with rear-facing restraints. On the other hand, some research suggests that ISOfix offers better protection in side impacts.

The advantage of the ADR-compliant restraints is that the top mount allows the seat-base to rotate forward slightly in a frontal collision, before the seatbelt catches the back of it. This means that the restraint and the harness both combine to slow down the child's movement, spreading the load over a much greater area and cushioning the impact. This suggests there should be a lower risk of injury with ADR restraints compared with ISOfix in frontal impacts. The downside is that the ADR restraints can twist in side impacts and offer a bit less protection than ISOfix.
The Recaro ISOFIX system on the Monza seat allows the seat to "break free" of the hard mounting if the forces are enough. The seat latch onto the ISOFIX mounts remains attached to the car and seat via tethers. So the force is reduced, but the seat is still held in place. Of course the seat must be repaired/replaced after that has occurred.

So you get the ADR benefit of absorbed frontal impacts and superior side-impact protection with idiot proof mounting.