View Single Post
      09-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #33
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire81 View Post
this is my weekend toy, spirited driving. would like to upgrade the suspension, have more grip when cornering but not sacrificing ride quality.
i will be taking the car 2-3 times a year to the track.
got $2500 to spend. should i save more and get a LSD or upgrade the suspension, and what to upgrade specifically!
Taking you at your word, and assuming you have already taken your car to the track (if you haven't, do nothing until you have):

Install M3 rear subframe bushings.

1) it is a suspension mod, which is your stated intent.
2) it improves ride quality.
3) it improves front end grip, which is surely what you mean when you say "have more grip when cornering". (Why would you want more rear grip on what is already an understeering pig?)

Reassess (at the track, at an autoslalom, or on any decent on ramp) after the M3 rear subframe bushings.

LSD as a first mod? This is just about the worst idea you could come up with and since you did come up with it, I guess we can blame you and not Mike. I am sure Mike believes what he says, but he hasn't done a very good job of explaining how an LSD is "the single best modification". And you do know he is in the business of selling you whatever you think you need, right? int2str may have stepped on a few toes, but he speaks from an informed AND impartial position. John_01 gets a nod too.

Oh, and just to clarify - by "track" you do mean "race track" as in "road course" don't you? If you are actually intending to take your car to the "race track", M3 rear subframe bushings are "the one mod" you should do first. Nothing else comes close. It doesn't matter if you want to drive fast or to drive sideways, they fix a fundamental problem with the 1-series suspension. This advice is just about as old as this forum. That is to say, it is extremely well tested, and I dare say nobody who has done it and tracks their car will tell you that it didn't fundamentally improve their car's handling and balance.
Appreciate 0