View Single Post
      09-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #40
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Taking you at your word, and assuming you have already taken your car to the track (if you haven't, do nothing until you have):

Install M3 rear subframe bushings.

1) it is a suspension mod, which is your stated intent.
2) it improves ride quality.
3) it improves front end grip, which is surely what you mean when you say "have more grip when cornering". (Why would you want more rear grip on what is already an understeering pig?)

Reassess (at the track, at an autoslalom, or on any decent on ramp) after the M3 rear subframe bushings.

LSD as a first mod? This is just about the worst idea you could come up with and since you did come up with it, I guess we can blame you and not Mike. I am sure Mike believes what he says, but he hasn't done a very good job of explaining how an LSD is "the single best modification". And you do know he is in the business of selling you whatever you think you need, right? int2str may have stepped on a few toes, but he speaks from an informed AND impartial position. John_01 gets a nod too.

Oh, and just to clarify - by "track" you do mean "race track" as in "road course" don't you? If you are actually intending to take your car to the "race track", M3 rear subframe bushings are "the one mod" you should do first. Nothing else comes close. It doesn't matter if you want to drive fast or to drive sideways, they fix a fundamental problem with the 1-series suspension. This advice is just about as old as this forum. That is to say, it is extremely well tested, and I dare say nobody who has done it and tracks their car will tell you that it didn't fundamentally improve their car's handling and balance.
I am not in the business of selling whatever he needs because there is a good chance he won't purchase from me. He put it between suspension and an LSD and I though the LSD would be more suitable, but now that he is saying it will cost him 5k installed then that opens up a FLOOD of different possibilities. I also didn't see he was in Kuwait and this changes my thought process A LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire81 View Post
the flood of information is appreciated and i'm yet to make up my mind ```

this is where i stand now:
- i mentioned the LSD because it is highly advertised and all my previous sports cars had LSDs.
- the spinning when acceleration is what makes me consider the LSD. my LS3 C6 with PS2 tires hooked better. or is from the LSD in the C6?
- the car will be parked in the garage when roads are wet.
- i'm not drifting my car.
- the $2500 is for suspension parts mods only.
- the RFTs will soon go. size will increase to 225/255 front/rear.
- i'm afraid the coilovers will be overkill for me considering the added stiffness and the reduced ground clearance. or am i wrong? i know it will vastly improve handling.
- on fast corners (public roads), it bounces if the road is not perfect. reminded me of my 2011 mustang. my 2003 S2000 was better in this department.
- i always drive the car with the traction control button pressed 1 time.
- one more thing i would like to improve is steering responsiveness. it takes more time to translate my inputs. drove a 2012 GTI and its steering response was excellent and even better than my S2000!!!
- i'm not planning to turn my 135i into a time attack machine when i take it to a "race track" or "road course", just enjoy having a well balanced suspension, or in other words, better than stock handling.

now speaking of my $2500, should i spend it or save for the LSD?
LSD will cost me $5000 installed.

thanks again for the valuable inputs and civilized discussion ``
Well now that I see you live in Kuwait (apologize I didn't see that before) and it will cost you $5k installed then I need to change up my suggestion strategy. With all of this new information I would suggest the M3 front control arms (will help with the less than perfect turn in), M3 strut tower brace, M3 subframe bushings, M3 guide rods, and M3 upper links. In terms of actual suspension it seems like you are going for more of a koni/swift spring combination, which won't lower the car too much and greatly improve handling and performance. You could add camber plates, but that would be a little over your budget. All of these together would make for a great road car and occasional track car.

Once again, I appreciate the further input so I could be a little bit more helpful. I just heard suspension vs LSD and went one direction. Hope this helps a little.

+1 on what Marco said above me.
Appreciate 0