View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #46
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I still don't understand the comments about smoothness of shifting relative to the AC. Do you have problems going uphill or downhill too? How about while the engine is warming up versus warm? In all these situations the car is behaving a little differently but the difference is small and shouldn't really affect the shifting.

I agree with the "lazy shifting" comments, however. The effort level for my 128i is a little higher than my SUV or other MT cars I have owned. The spring for 5/6 is noticably stronger than I am used to. When I am driving casually, thinking of something else, I sometimes get reminded to push a little harder towards the passengers side if I want 5 or 6. It is not hard to shift my car, it is easier than most MT, but it does require a little more effort than most and I have to not let my mind wander too much.

Pushing the gas pedal a little more compensates for the hp loss for the AC. If I am crusing, that happens naturally without much notice. Accelerating I may notice it's slightly slower. Like it is while warming up. Not a big deal IMHO. When I need the AC it is a good trade.

Jim