View Single Post
      02-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge135 View Post
Which one would we have to buy to work with ST/KW coilovers? And will this eliminate the need to use the stock upper of the oe strut?
This particular plate appears to be best suited to full size springs although the GC website says it is available configured for race springs. Despite the text on the Ground Control website, these plates are not adjustable for caster. They also make a "Hybrid" plate that provides articulation of the spring perch, which would be a better choice for a race spring, in my opinion.

Here is how the "Street" plates work:

The Ground Control Street camber plate uses a large steer bearing and a separate camber bushing. All weight is borne by the steer bearing. The camber bushing allows the strut shaft to articulate and it carries the damping loads. Because the spring perch remains flat relative to the plate and does not articulate with the shaft, this camber plate is best suited to full size OE or Sport lowering springs as opposed to race springs (which are less forgiving of axial misalignment).

Name:  1 Plate on Strut.jpg
Views: 5196
Size:  137.5 KB
Assembled Strut

Name:  2 Plate with Bushing and Upper Steer Bearing Race.jpg
Views: 4696
Size:  208.1 KB
Camber Plate and Upper Steer Bearing Race. Slots allow camber adjustment only.

Name:  3 Steer Bearing.jpg
Views: 5295
Size:  204.6 KB
Spring Perch with Steer Bearing

Name:  4 Spring Perch.jpg
Views: 5064
Size:  171.3 KB
Spring Perch

Name:  5 Bare Plate.jpg
Views: 4567
Size:  188.1 KB
Bare Plate

Name:  6 Camber Bushing Set.jpg
Views: 4596
Size:  230.2 KB
Camber Bushing Parts

Name:  7 Camber Bushing Set Assembled.jpg
Views: 4443
Size:  181.7 KB
Camber Bushing Assembled

Name:  8 Upper Mounting Bolts.jpg
Views: 4632
Size:  154.7 KB
It is necessary to trim one of the upper mounting bolts to clear the strut brace
Appreciate 1