Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
I don't disregard you because, basing purely from your posts, you do seem to know what your talking about. But you seriously need to work on your communication skills. That is the douchiest way of putting that. You can add your input, but this is HIS car, HIS money. If he doesn't want to listen, that is his decision and there is nothing wrong with that. Just like you are giving him advice on driving, take that from me. Communication is THE most important thing in this world.

This is all very true. The old saying that if your car is completely under control you aren't going fast enough has truth to it. Slicks, R-comps and a tire like an RS3 work best at certain slip angles. It varies from tire to tire. I can tell you off the top of my head a Michelin Cup tire is most efficient at a 3 degree slip angle. It is the driver and the chassis job to use the TIRE in the most efficient way. That is all driving dynamics is, manipulating weight to best use your tires. Steering a car is nothing more than you putting force into the ground and where the weight is can put your car in a better chance to do that, or overload the car and turn static friction into kinetic friction. The ideal way to get a car around a corner should require ZERO steering. What determines this is your speed, line, steering/turn in and weight control aka braking/brake release. The brake release and turn in are inherently tied together in managing the weight. At this point, you can steer the car with the throttle as Purple Derple said. Now steering the car with the throttle does not mean a huge gob of it to get into oversteer, or an abrupt lift to do the same. Rather, think of it as less then 5% change in pedal travel to walk the line of slip.

To sum up what Purple said and I am supplementing, you want to be using 100% of your tires grip from the beginning of the braking zone until the wheel is pointed straight at the exit. That is achieved through those techniques. When you can do that consistently is when I personally recommend moving on to a stickier tire, however it is completely unrealistic for ANYONE to do that in every single corner, even Michael Schumacher would not achieve that.
You guys are awesome, thanks for all the input. It really is greatly appreciated, lot's of information to sort through.

I plan, maybe this year to take a couple of the Skip Barber racing schools. Hopefully I learn something there (I'm not a complete moron ). But for now, I just want to go out, have fun and enjoy my car. These things I added were bugging me for quite some time, so I upgraded them.