06-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
I have the intake manifold off and I am ready to clean but I have a few questions.

1. How do you turn the engine? I assume that one would turn the engine with the crank pulley. Is this the easiest way to open and close the valves? Also, what size is the nut?

2. How do you seperate the metal piece that connects to the intake manifold from the plastic wire case?

3. Should I clean the intake manifold since I have it off? What should I use to clean it?

4. I am going to use Redline SI-1 to soak and clean the valves. I bought a gun cleaning kit that contains brass brushes to brush off the carbon. I heard that Redline SI-1 has the highest concentration of PolyEther Amine which is supposed to be great at breaking down the carbon. Are the other cleaners that might be better?

My valves looked pretty dirty but I would say that they are probably average for 28k. Cylinders 1,2 and 3 were cleaner than 4,5 and 6.
Do you have an OCC ?