04-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Shouldn't have to pull the wheels off. Just turn them full lock left, check to see if right tire is rubbing against the liner. Then shave the fender clip with a dremmel. Then turn full lock right, check to see if tire is rubbing against the liner. Shave off the fender clip. Jack the car up and make sure there is clearance on both sides between the wheel/tire and the front struts. Should be good to go. If tire is rubbing against the liner, there's really nothing you can do other than smaller tires. It's really not going to hurt anything.

Also, sometimes what happens too, is that when full lock and going up an incline, because of the way the geometry sits and the weight transfer of the car, the shoulder of the tire will rub on the edge of the fender itself depending on the shoulder design of the tire (square vs. round). A way to check this is to look at the edge of the fender and see if paint is starting to wear away and if there are any bits of tire on the edge.

The front fender is extremely easy to roll as well. I would highly recommend this. It's a V-shape and the metal folds nice and flat on the inside really easily. The biggest limitation of the front fenders are where the fender meets the front bumper, where that fender clip is. This is the most common rubbing spot on the front and most commonly this happens during compression of the suspension. If this is happening you'll almost see like little groves cut into the side of the tire and there will be rubber bits left on the fender clip.

As you can see, I've experimented a bit with different wheels/offsets/tires/ride heights/camber lol.

Last edited by bogart; 04-04-2013 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0