View Single Post
      03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #32
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

The Akra is a very sensitive system, in more ways the one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I refer to my post above about the 'gap' difference between the tailpipes (driver side gap is a little smaller than the passenger side gap) (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27).

The gap between the tailpipes should be equal on both sides.

I know already of three 1M Akra exhausts who feature exactly the same 'gap' difference phenomenon. Can others also check their 1M Akra ? Do know that it's marginal, but it's there - take a closer look to notice the difference. If this happens to be case (and thus every 1M Akra features the 'gap' difference), than it appears that the Akra factory mold (for shaping the titanium axle back exhaust) was/is not 100% accurately conceived.
If you recall, I had to readjust my tips; And not just because they looked awfully uneven/ unsymmetrical but also because they were installed incorrectly. Once we removed the tips, switched them around and re-installed I was expecting nothing but perfection... I was wrong again! Although the tips looked great, the right set's inner bolts were slightly touching, so as I would pass 1100 RPM I would get a slight rattle. ONLY @ or while passing 1100 RPM. It really blew my mind how precise it was when the rattle would come on, ONLY 1100RPM!

So unfortunately, the tips had to come off AGAIN, and not because of how they were visually, but because of a sticking rattle! (something I was not even considering to be honest) So a friend with skills/experience and myself readjusted the right side and were able to get rid of the rattle very easily. It could be seen that the bolts were barely touching, but simply/ barely touching is enough to interfere and cause a rattle. With all of this said, it comes down to this: keep messing/ adjusting with your tips until they are perfect because NO body shop/ exhaust shop/ dealer will care about your vehicle more than you do! Let's face it, most shops consider a job all/ well done once the install is complete and the Akra requires a little bit more of that special attention. I am very happy with mine personally and although the tips are torqued down, I check them every few days or so for shifting of the tips or gaps. Hope that helps!

2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0