07-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #3725
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
Sorry to hear about the damage! Glad you are OK. As other have said, it doesn't appear too major, certainly the body is still straight. Should be somewhere in the $1000 range to have it repaired. Not sure what your deductible is, but I filed a claim and had the front bumper replaced and painted, even though the insurance company only wrote me a check for $600 (I had a $500 deductible), they have now raised my rates by $300 per year for a minimum of three years. I would have been better off just writing a check to the body shop for $1100.
Rick,

Don't you love insurance? I know how you feel and have a similar story. A few years ago, my car was parked in a virtually level parking space but rolled slightly back while I was away (driver error, forgot to put parking brake on ) and tapped the bumper of a Toyota. NO damage to my car, but minor scrape to the corner of his rear bumper. My insurance said,
- If claim is < $1,000 they pay the full amount and no ding to my rates or record.
- If > $1,000 my deductible gets hit and so does my record and rates for 3 years.

The other guy's body shop estimate was $950, subject to them finding no damage under the bumper skin (how could there be at 5 mph??). But then, can you trust them? And if he claimed a rental car for the time his car was out, that could also push me over $1,000. Wasn't worth the risk of higher rates to me so I wrote him a check for $1,000. Sure glad we pay for insurance so we get bent over on small claims. <end rant>
Appreciate 0