No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 128i, 1989 E30 325ix

Garage List
1989 BMW 325IX  [8.75]
2011 BMW 128i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconuswett View Post
Long time lurker, just registered so I could post this....

I had a coil go bad, when I pulled the coils to start replacing them, the hose connecting to the PCV snapped. On top of that, I knew I had a small oil leak, but I found oil in the bottom of the #4 and #3 spark plug wells, along with oil in the gaps around the areas.

So, I guess its time to replace the valve cover. The OEM replacement on FCP euro says it comes with the valve cover gasket set, Valvetronic actuator gasket, Valvetronic shaft sensor seal, and mounting bolts. Here's the link:https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...l6-11127552281

So, the questions are:

- Other the the spark plug recess ignition coil guides, is there anything else I should purchase? I had the spark plugs replaced 20,000 miles ago (car is at 100K), I believe they are still good.

- FCP euro treated me well on the new coils, are they the best (ie: lowest price) for a new OEM valve cover? Is there even an aftermarket one people would recommend?

I've read the tutorials and am pretty mechanically inclined, so I feel this should be a run of the mill pain the butt, but something I can accomplish in the garage with a few beers and choice words.

Thanks
There is a DIY write up on pelican parts covering the valve cover and gasket replacement it will tell you tools needed for the scope of work, materials, parts and in depth step by step Instruction on the process, it’s recommended to replace the coil guides as they are intended for one time use. Also realoem.com is Instrumental in my success of DIY work on my 1er. Enter bmw catalog, type in last seven of vin into vin box click search, it will pull up your specific model, click browse parts and you have access to every subcategory of part with illustrated parts breakdowns, part numbers and part nomenclature. I bought two valve cover gaskets expecting to mess it up my first try, this indeed happened and I had oil piss everywhere in my engine bay, I rolled the gasket on the backside of the firewall, I took the valve cover back off and cleaned everything up using degreaser and brakekleen, replaced the gasket even though I probably could still use it, I took extra care to put everything on again and successfully did the VCG replacement, the car ran superb after this! I did however replace my ignition harness and now I have a crank no start issue.
Appreciate 0