View Single Post
      03-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #43
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
If you do a search, you will find the info in one of the many DCT vs mt threads. In short, my buddy and I took the cars to a controlled environment, entirely safe, straight stretches of unpopulated roads. Both 2011 N55 cars. We made 2 pulls - one from a dig, and one from a roll. Now mind you, I am well aware of the abilities of DCT, and was constantly thinking I did not stand a chance, but heck, I gave it a shot anyway! Results? From a dig, no matter what you drive, it is absolutely a driver's race; I immediately jumped a car ahead on the launch (even though my car spins 1st, 2nd, and chirps 3rd), and from 0-120 (which is when I hit the brakes) he was unable to close in the gap. Even I was surprised as to how I was able to stay up there, but I am able to shift very quickly, not as fast as DCT however.

From a roll, we started at around 40mph, dead even until about 105-110 where his bumper started to pull forward on me. We let go at 120 and about half of his car was obviously slightly ahead of me. I'm guessing due to quicker shifting and more aggressive gearing.

To me these are interesting findings because regardless of the abilities of both cars, it all boils down on how they are driven.
If you are a really good manual driver you will be able to keep up with a DCT to a bit past 60...it is after that that DCT makes all the difference.

Their was an explaination of this when DCT first came out on the M3, and from what the video explained DCT has no drop back due to shift time..this is more noticable the faster you go...because the faster you go the faster your speed decreases when you take your foot off the gas.

Here is the video that I am talking about.

Last edited by Aries932; 03-01-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add something
Appreciate 0