View Single Post
      08-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #33
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Sounds like you may have a bad cable. The newer cables should charge the phone. The main problem is that Apple keeps changing the iPhones and their charger requirements. The way I understand it is if the cable is supplying the exact voltage (no engineer, i think thats the right term) it will charge, if not, the phone says the accessory is not compatible and it will not charge. The last cable I had for my 135 worked correctly and I could listen to Pandora, or any thing else from the phone in the car system.
No, my cable is fine. You got the terminology right (voltage), engineer here , however, if Apple changes the charging pins in regards to the cable that's charging the phone, then it will not charge. Remember, these cables have pins that have been allocated for charging, as well as pins that have been allocated for data transfer.

There may be multiple versions of this cable, and I know there definitely are multiple versions of the phone (3, 3G, 3GS, 4), so I may not have the "right combination". There is also the possibility that the phone is designed to display the message about incompatibility, and it could still be charging anyways; I haven't left it connected long enough to find out. But in regards to the sound, I can definitely play whatever I want from my phone. I just think BMW Apps will turn it into a smoother experience with a much better interface.
Appreciate 0