View Single Post
      06-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Dude, seriouly, theres no reason to not want to use ethanol, e.g., denatured alcohol from home depot. Distilled water is not expensive, its like 79 cents/gallon at the grocery store. You're over analyzing...
Methanol is more volatile than ethanol. By an order of magnitude. This means it will much more readily evaporate and draw off heat than ethanol. I know they both work to cool off the engine, but methanol is more efficient and more combustible, so no water droplets will be entering your engine. I would much rather find a good methanol source.

Also, the water you buy at the grocery store is NOT distilled. Humans should NEVER drink actual distilled or deionized water long term. Tap, bottled, and natural water have many trace elements and minerals which are necessary for proper body function and growth. This is why all the water you drink has these minerals, even if it's "purified" they add the good stuff back in. (ps - otherwise the water will actually taste pretty nasty to you as well). It's exactly these trace elements that I don't want in my engine, and exactly why I already said I don't want to use bottled water, etc that is meant for human consumption.

Please get a clue before you bash my thread. Maybe I'm nit picking a bit, but I want to be as good to my engine as I can be. If you'd rather be more haphazard with your car, that's fine. If you don't agree with my philosophy, then that's fine

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0