View Single Post
      11-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
fenix623
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
So, I talked to the guy that diagnosed it again the other day and all of a sudden he decided to tell me that he also discovered a bad oil leak that he, "didn't have time to find out where the leak was coming from." If I had known that I would have left the car with him to do so. Anyway, I went in and checked it out myself and the leak is obviously coming from the oil filter housing.

So before I start replacing the alternator and pulleys and all that, I am going to replace both the oil filter housing gaskets and O rings in the oil lines.

He told me that the idler pulley replacement was just precautionary. He said the noise from the alternator area was so loud that he couldn't exactly pinpoint where the noise was coming from, so why jump straight to an alternator replacement?

The oil filter housing is right above the belt, next to the alternator and idler pulley, so is it reasonable to think that it's not the alternator or pulleys at all? That the noise is just coming from the belt slipping with all that oil dripping on it? On cold start, there is no squeak until I rev it and I'm thinking the oil starts dripping on the belt and then the squeaking starts.

I am going to do the gaskets and clean everything up, then drive it around for a bit to see if it squeaks again.
Appreciate 0