06-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltri View Post
Was wondering how much bubbles are normally seen coming out of the valves..? And how much old fluid is collected per corner..? I've used the motive bleeder twice and I see lots of bubbles coming out of valves..almost like bubbles you see when you pour water from a bottle.. My question is that are these bubbles really from the lines or from around the neck of the bleeder valves?? I do track my car often. I use Ate blue alternating with yellow.
The short answer is you need fresh/new brake fluid - bc you are boiling your brake fluid. I bet you have a soft pedal too.

You want to get out ALL the bubbles when you bleed the brakes. I normally take out about 200ml per corner. I do the entire car twice. Always start with RR, then LR, the FR and then FL. You want to do the longest brake line first - that is the reason for that order. This is for a LHD car ofcourse.

The reason why you are seeing LOTS of bubbles is because your brake fluid has been boiling. When the brake fluid starts to boil... air bubbles will be inside the brake lines. I would use a higher spec brake fluid IF your going to the tracke often.

Most track drivers will bleed the brakes before and after each track event! Over here in Germany... BMW AG says to replace the brake fluid yearly. For US spec cars,,, they say every two years.

Over here... when you go to get your car inspected by the TUV... they acutally take a sample of your brake fluid... and put it in this tester... to see at what temp it boils/flashes over. IF its too low a temp - they will fail your brake system and you will need to change out your brake fluid. Its wild over here to the extent they inspect cars. Luckyly, we Americans are exempt from the regular German TUV.

Dackel
Appreciate 1