View Single Post
      11-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #57
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Found it in another doc, but here it is again as I have a few. See attached pg 49.

Is the 1M got a bigger oil cooler than the 135i? I know it has better water cooling.

Why the 125 degrees???

I have a bottle of Redline WW sitting in wait, but switching to 0W40 has dropped my temps by 7-10 deg and I rarely see 120 deg.

Better water cooling will lead to lower oil temps. I.e. the upgraded BMW PPK cooling kit
Hey Ian,

once again thanks for the engine cooling data.

I cannot comment on the cooling components of the 1M, perhaps Zuzu can chime in.

With respect to the 125 degrees Celsius maximum operating temperature, after speaking to Peter he suggests he would not want to see higher than 120 whilst tracking the car.

As I mentioned before, it is all well and good to hit 120 to 125 degrees Celsius, whilst sitting in heavy traffic on the commute to work.

But when you are putting huge loads on the internal components of the engine and spinning the motor to redline, you want both oil and water temps to be happy.

By that I mean they should be at a normal operating temperature and stable.

Changing your engine oil following a track day is certainly good practice, however it is of little use if excessive oil temps have lead to a spun bearing, as a result of improper lubrication.

Or you have cooked your engine due to radiator failure, following a blowout of a plastic end tank.

Last edited by JD75; 11-19-2011 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0