Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpm17 View Post
Avoid NYC at all costs! There isn't a middle class anymore. Its for the ultra rich or ultra poor who scam and steal from hard working tax payers who can barely stay afloat! I hate this city with a passion!
Says the guy that drives a BMW and lives in the Bronx?? I don't agree with this, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

NYC is an amazing city, and if you have the chance to move here for a good opportunity, don't let the prices scare you. These people speak the truth that it is expensive to own a car, BUT this can be minimized. I park my car on the street, this is free. Insurance is higher, but depending on where you come from, it probably won't be unmanageable. Also, the public transportation is great, so if you do find a place to leave your car, you can take trains and busses everywhere you need to go.

Manhattan has places to park as well, but it is much more difficult. Your car may get dinged and scratched in any of the boroughs, but if you do park on the street there isn't much you can do. Garages can be had in Queens and Brooklyn for a few hundred a month typically if you have to park in a garage. The cost of living is high in NY, and owning a car can be expensive at times, but its a great place to live, so don't let the price alone deter you.

To answer your question: Having a car in NY is expensive, but can be manageable if you plan appropriately. However, it isn't necessary to have a car, and you can have more money to explore the city if you don't have one.

Good Luck,

Tim