View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #30
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
My car was making a clicking noise everytime I turned left. I took the wheel off this weekend and it turns out the plastic brake cooler duct in the wheel well was sticking out a little too far and cracked from the tire hitting it. So every time I turned the wheel, it would rub up against the broken plastic brake duct and make a loud clicking noise and vibration.
I know exactly what you're talking about! But I took out that plastic cover anyway, afraid that the wheel would rub on it when turned. Same exact worry as you. My clicking noise wasn't come from that, though. Who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Yep, just live with it. My car has almost 60,000 miles on it and has done this for at least the last 35,000+ miles (it's a CPO car). As I mentioned, it only does this peridodically. I'm not sure if I would say that this shakes the whole car, but it is a definite vibration that originates when turning the steering wheel left or right from center when the car is just creeping (my car is AT, too) or stopped. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for what's going on, whether it's a design flaw or a serious of coincidental circumstances that causes it. My dad is a retired Porsche Master Tech of 30+ years and he was in my car one time when it happened and though he noticed it, he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about...whatever that's worth.
Maybe it's not so terrible then. The vibration has toned down a little bit since getting everything re-tightened and filling up the power steering fluid, and I noticed it doesn't always happen. Just happens more than I'd like it to. If I really can't figure out the cause soon, I might as well just live with it too. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Wait they arent FWD?

And dammit. I did a CV replacement on my Merc last year which started with vibrating steering. Dont listen to me anymore.

Except check the ball joints. thats still important
Awesome! More stuff to check under the car!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0