05-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #153
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Great info - thanks for that Dan. Maybe I'll go with the D4 as well then. Any idea how well it should protect at temps below freezing? We've just got out of a stupidly long winter here in the UK, so cold temp performance is a concern of mine.
Can't tell what you've got, MT or AT ?

If you're worried about low temps, then D6 is thinner, Brookfield@-40C of 45 Poise . In an MT I personally still wouldn't use it, I think it's way too thin. Given some of the stuff I read - RL MTL used in MT's w/ no problems in temperate climates - D4 is thin enough.

Oh and one interesting thing: I noticed the specs on the RL "C+ ATF". It's a Cinderella oil: visc values fairly close to D4 (maybe a small-bit thinner at higher temps while still a bit thicker then D6) but with a VI=213 (!) and a Brookfield@-40C of 38 Poise (lower then even D6). At least on paper this oil looks great. Here's what RL said when I raised it as an option: "You nailed it. But if you don't do one specific to that market, folks won't buy it. Unfortunate and close overlap. The difference couldn't be spotted in wear or performance. I wouldn't bother as it is not distributed as well."
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0