View Single Post
      01-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
That would be cool but I doubt it. BMW are still going to build on their strong heritage with straight 6 cylinder engines, particularly with an M model. I think they would struggle to convince people (particularly Americans) to pay M prices for a 4 cylinder car regardless of how good it actually was.

hmmmm. The original E30 M3 was a 4-cyl, the E36 was kind of an afterthought, and havent all the 5-series and up been V8's? Maybe Im mistaken, but I don't see that the 6-cyl is really any sort of a pedigree with ///M.

I recall in reading about the N55 that it will not be the performance-oriented engine. It has a redline of 5800RPM, IIRC from reading about it. There are a few good threads if you search the board, that give some more decent insight.

I would imagine that if it is NOT, say, a highly boosted, high-rpm 4cyl that shaves major weight while adding power... that it will be a DCT or higher-torque handling transmission tied to a boosted N54 that is constantly in "overbost mode" or whatever they call it on the z4isdrive3.5whatever...
Appreciate 0