06-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #69
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Exclamation Sorry for the lengthy post, but some good info below:

I think maybe this should have been established page1.

But DRONE is:

A continuous, low frequency, monotonous sound.

It doesn't even need to be loud, in fact it is usually under very light load in lower RPM's. Just read what DINAN engineers struggled with on the E9x M3 exhaust they were developing. They state: "We worked at designs that would maintain the dual exhaust outlets but each iteration resulted in a heavy, low frequency drone with far too much back-pressure to produce any substantial power gains." Yet some M3 owners scoffed at the DINAN exhaust because the outer pipes were faux. For me and many others who bought the DINAN exhaust, the real functional gains and the lack of drone was more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LofgrenCL View Post
My E46 has a terrible Drone FROM an EISENMANN exhaust!!
The metallic reverberation in the cabin is horrible.. Three layers of Dynamat extreme in the trunk and still no relief..
I am finaly switching to the OEM performance muffler....
There is too many people that don't even know what drone is in an exhaust system apparently. Drone is not the 'metallic reverberation' you are referring to on the E46. What you are referring to is the 'rasp' that some didn't like on that M3. I personally like the frenetic scream of the E46M3, which the rasp is an integral part of. The origin of this sound is NOT in the exhaust but rather the midpipe. Rogue had a rasp pipe that eliminated this sound. Don't spend anymore money on exhausts trying to eliminate that sound. Get this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LofgrenCL View Post
So I think it just has to do with individual CAR harmonics.. Not every Eisenmann exhaust causes Drone, so not every 1M will have it either..
Noooo. Eisenmann exhausts have a consistent sound for any given model and "individual car harmonics"? What are you talking about? Unless BMW(or whoever is making the exhaust for BMW) is changing the design mid production, the sound from car to car will be the same.