09-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #61
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Thanks for the explanation, but I'm really not stuck on the idea than an engine can produce infinite power. Really, I'm not.

All I was getting at is this: You mentioned that tuners use a snapshot of the engine software to base their tunes. So, like in your example, if you get a software update from the dealership that's a version higher, then, according to you, your tune may be useless because "you can't just reload the 3rd party tuner's software when you get home. You'd undo the fix the dealer made. Your tuner software is now useless, and you'll have to wait for your tuner to take a snapshot of version 4.4 and port their changes over."

So my question is simply will Cobb's tune work for cars with the PPK software version? Or will we, as you put it, have to wait for the tuner (i.e. Cobb) to get a snapshot of this version of software?

Notice I am not asking if its possible to combine the power of the PPK and the tune. Doesn't work like that, got it.
I'll give you one example: I've heard that to fix the infamous high pressure fuel valve issue, which you'd think involves only a redesigned fuel valve, BMW also downloads a new version of the software as part of that fix.
Say you have the Cobb software. You go in for a HPFV issue. They download new software, overriding your Cobb.
You'd think... no problems, I'll just go home and download the Cobb software again. If you did that, you'd lose the software changes for the new HPFV they installed, which could render the valve worse than before. Realizing that, you don't want to reinstall the Cobb software. That's why I say it's useless... not that you can't. You won't want to.
You'll want to wait for Cobb to take a new snapshot of the BMW software with the HPFV fix, and then migrate their performance maps onto it.
Capiche?
Appreciate 0