View Single Post
      03-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofopps View Post
Are super sports better than PS2? I've read that super sports are a newer version? I know they have a better tread wear rating at 30k vs 20k. Why would the newer/better tires be cheaper???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Foofopps, I don't really understand the deal either. I was really astounded when I was reading on the 1M side of this site. They were arguing about the new M135 and how well it compared to the 1M on the track. These track knowledgeable guys were complaining that the comparison was not fair because the M135 was using much better tires (PSS vs PS2). Then I found out the wear rating was better, the PSS is much lighter...AND cheaper. That's why I'm trying to get them to fit on my car as we speak.

The PSS are definitely supposed to be a better tire. Motortrend tested them when they first came out, and found them to be superior to the PS2 in almost all aspects.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t/viewall.html

The difference is probably attributable to a new compound used in making the tires, since the tread doesn't really look much different. Personally, I don't think the difference is really as groundbreaking as people say it is. Michelin just researched and found a better "mix" between different compounds in the rubber of the tire.

The price different probably exists because of supply and demand. As the PS2 are phased out, fewer and fewer are being produced. Meanwhile, the PSS are becoming available in more and more sizes, and all the machinery at the michelin factory is probably converted from what they used to make the PS2 to the PSS. So, PS2 are becoming rarer, and available in fewer sizes, so what IS available is marked up compared to the relative surplus of the PSS. Also, whatever compound is made of could actually be cheaper to supply too.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0