03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #61
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Another irrelevant post. It is sad when people say things just to say them, without any reasoning behind it. Could you explain why "forged crank is a big plus for the 54 also? I'm sure you can't, you are just repeating what you've read, but here, let me explain a few things to you. Forging typically has 2 major effects: 1) weight savings, and 2) rigidity. Now let's address both points. Did you know that the non-forged crank in the N55 is actually lighter than the one on the N54? This blows away advantage #1. Now let's address advantage #2: did you know that the rigidity of a forged crank presents a clear advantage under major horsepower applications? By this I mean 6, 7, 800+ hp, which are numbers that our cars will never be able to achieve without completely rebuilt motors, in which case other forged internals will most likely be required, and the car will probably be a purely track car. So where's the big plus for the 135i?

If you know anything about BMW, you know that they do not "confirm" anything this early in the game. What has been speculated and apparently started is that the new M3 will be forced inducted. Also, the 1M received a powerplant that is being faded out and replaced in the BMW line. By no means does this mean it's a bad engine; all the opposite, it's been a great engine for the time it's been out, but everything comes to an end, just like the N55 will be replaced one day. The surplus of N54 engines (because it was used across so many platforms) made a good supply for the 1M, versus just recycling them. Also, the engine has a good following and reputation, so it is only wise to use it on a new car, and people will gravitate to buying it.

There is a BMW insider in these forums that has implied that BMW will be using a variant of the N55 for the new M3. Every time I have seen him post something in advance, he has been correct.
Forged is always better. You can try to put an unrealistic, head in sand spin on it but it just doesnt cut it. Stronger and more expensive to produce. The first one is a win for anybody who knows engine dynamics. The latter is the likely reason they decided not to go forged for the 55.
6,7, 800hp! I've seen and heard about many twisted and broken cranks well under your pulled out of hat #'s! A simple ten minute flash in a N54 is giving cars an additional 100+ hp/tq figures. Thats a big bump for a 300 hp engine right there. Sure the guys who have done so feel a little better having a beefier bottom end.

As for the new M3, that was my point. Speculation and guarantees of what engine will be underhood arent realistic at this time. Just like all the N55 guys with 'insider info' assured us that they were at the meeting where the 55 was certainly going into the 1M!

Did this 'insider' also tell you a surplus of 54's were gotten rid of in the 335is and the 1M? You're saying BMW actually used an inferior left over, antiquated inferior engine for its newest M vehicle? Dont think so.

How do you know they still dont have a huge warehouse full of these 54's collecting dust that they're going to unload on us for the new FI M3? You cant, you dont have a clue why the company is doing what it does. Just throwing mud on the wall hoping it will stick. It doesnt.

With the introduction of the N55 BMW made it very clear in its own literature that the engine is more fuel efficient and cleaner than the the N54. The times are changing. Cleaner, greener are the new buzzwords that will sell cars.

Just like the monster American powerplants of the 60's went away with fuel price and pollution concerns in favor of lesser engines. This is a similar occurance happening here. BMW slightly took the edge off a sharp knife to conform to the times. CAFE regs and pollution are a concern for all automakers and they make adjustments.

Last edited by NYC6; 03-03-2011 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0