View Single Post
      05-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #38
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

"I'll pay $40k for a loaded 135i.. It will be the most fun car ever..."

I am sure there would be a few that would. But with a 135i retailing over or at $40K, what is the compelling reason for the 1-series? It has to be more to BMW than just another fun car to drive. It has to have a market that is separate from the 3 series.

Those of us reading this want it for its performance potential over the 3, but the wider market has to be considered. To most customers there would not be a significant difference between a 335i and a 135i if they both cost over $40k. Therefore, the new customers are not being reached.

So in other words, you would want the 135i because it is more of a fun car to drive and the other guy may want a more luxury GT. Well that's great, because in your scenario they aren't that much different in price. I think reality is going to be that BMW wants to market the 1 series as a return to its roots. A car that doesn't have to be over powered to achieve the sports car end. Have you seen the pictures with the 2002?

To that end VALUE is the heart of the market for this car. With that said, it will perform like a dream. It just will have to do it with less than 300 hp.
Appreciate 0