10-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #523
otterdoc
Mean Little Otter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohoolm View Post
Doc ,How did you get burned? if it's already posted somewhere point me to it. thanks!
My 2001 330ci was a steptronic. Transmission had a catastrophic failure about 1/4 mile from my house in February. Car only had 110k miles on it. Naturally, it was out of warranty and because I was the 3rd owner, BMWNA basically told me I was SOL and wouldn't help in any way. Erhard wanted about $900 to even find out if it was repairable, and another 3-4k to replace the trans. I ended up taking it to Motorwerks because they only charged me $500 to find out the trans was totally destroyed. I sold them the car for a low but fair price and walked away. Drove a beater for a few months, then ordered my 1.

I had no problem paying for all of the repairs/maintenance that came with keeping a higher-mileage BMW in good running shape because I felt like I had a really good car that I absolutely loved. The car was only worth about $6k when it needed $4k in repairs with that trans, though. Stupid to do that, so I jumped on a full-warranty new build and I intend to buy the extended warranty, then sell the car at the end of the 5th year.

Erhard's customer service is about 75% of the reason I still own a BMW. The other 25% is the car meeting some extremely finicky and picky standards I set for what I wanted.

I still miss my 330 even though it betrayed me.