View Single Post
      11-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Discs and pads are consumables. They're replaced when they're worn down and generally, the rotors last for 2 pad changes. They won't replace rotors unless it's been worn down to the minimum level or it's at a level where it won't last the life of the pad change. If they're not replacing the rear it's because it has enough life in it to last through this next pad change.

Mind you, changing the brakes aren't guaranteed to stop the brake squeal. My car squealed from day 1 and I bought it new. When I had my brake pads changed it went away shortly, and then just returned again. Some say it's due to the lip that forms at the edge of the rotors as they wear down.

If you're paying a stealership for BMW to change all your brake consumables for you then you're looking into the thousands easily for a full front and rear replacement. Maybe $2000 give or take a few hundred depending on your dealer.

If you were to buy the OEM pads and rotors yourself, it would probably cost about $800-900 in parts. Aftermarket parts would cost from maybe a couple hundred cheaper if you go for non performance oriented OEM replacements, and up to maybe $1500-1800 if you're going for serious bolt on performance oriented upgraded rotors and pads.