06-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Your list with Forge last? IMO should be 1st

Re stepped-design: Check each manufacturer's data for stepped. IIRC Wagner is one which suffers pressure loss, but many will not give data on pressure drops, only cooling, which indicates they haven't addressed it. Excessive pressure drops will cause lag/bad throttle response.

IMO for stage 1/2 cars ETS & Forge are about the best with test data to back them. Helix & HPF meant to be good, but were overkill for my needs and required cutting, so I never researched them.

There is also Evolve which uses a hybrid core (Hydro flow), but when I asked for data they replied that their laptop with the data had crashed . Selling a $1500 FMIC with no supporting data

Also consider weight. OE IC is about 3.5kgs, while aftermarkets can go up to 11kg. The lower nose is not an ideal spot to be adding weight.

Take Pete's advice. Find the best at: Cooling, weight & minimal pressure drop
Honestly, it was a year ago, so now I really don't know why they're in that order. Now I see more notes would have been useful Since I was after an intercooler that didn't require trimming, I would have thought the ETS, Forge and Wagner would have appeared in the top three.

Good point about the weight too - that's probably the only thing the OE unit has in its favour!

What do you class as a stage 1/2 car?
Appreciate 0