01-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #69
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I live on the opposite end of the USA compared to OE tuning - I still made power, but not as much as advertised.

I don't care what Evolve has done, I care what they are doing - that tune isn't impressive for the work done on THIS platform.

Do you know WHY I went with OE instead of AA? My old M52TU Z3 had a SHARK INJECTOR flash - one of the oldest reflashes on the market. AA is known in BMW circles for years, including not just software tunes, but hardware like exhaust and superchargers. If someone knows something about tuning, it would surely be them, right? When a member compared AA's tune vs the Shark on a full bolt on car (including Shrick Camshafts) the Shark put down more power at every RPM. Why did I change my mind? Active hasn't been shy about dynos or support (which is based here in the USA) and unlike Evolve, they actually show gains in independent dynos - I'm convinced they are the best tuner on this platform until I can see some verification otherwise.
I'm not looking to make this into a comparison with Active(who I like for a number of reasons), but I'm pretty sure one of the primary reasons 623128i regrets his AA purchase was that he was told to go away when he sought support for his tune.

I had a Shark on my full bolt on S52 as well. I remember when the S54 came out Conforti, creator of the Shark, said there was 2-4hp left on the table from the factory. That was the nature of S54 for a long time until Evolve changed the game. From what I've seen since both in person and across forums is that that level of competency does not change based on platform for them, something that isn't usually seen for a tuner. Hence why it would be the outlier for them if there tune for the N52 was equivalent to the PBX(a statement I find amusing as my throttle wasn't changed in the slightest).

Bottom line, I guess I need to make getting a dyno a priority.