View Single Post
      10-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
artar
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 MR E92 M3; 08 SGM 135i Vert

Transmission Question...(Steptronic)

Hello! I've been lurking here for quite a while and occasionally post something but most of the time I enjoy reading and looking at everyone's photos & mods.

My wife has an '08 135i Vert w/ ~23K miles. The question is regarding the cold start (first start of the day).

When this car is started in the morning, until the engine / drivetrain reaches operating temperature, there is an interesting - and disturbing - phenomenon I've noticed. I'll drive the car up the road to the stop sign. When the car comes to a complete stop, I look both ways, etc. then release my foot off brake... the car rolls back as if it is a manual transmission car, then suddenly the driveline engages very harshly... almost like a sudden clutch release.

The car shifts fine once in motion, but this action repeats at every stop. Again, I release the foot off brake and the driveline seems to 're-engage' as if a clutch is suddenly - and abruptly - engaged. It's not quite violent in nature, but not far from it.

... as the car begins to approach operating temperature, the harshness subsides, and when fully warmed up, it does not happen.

So, my 1er friends, any ideas or concepts as to what's going on? The good news is the car has factory warranty in play so I can take it in - just trying to determine what the fark is going on here before I take it in.

Thanks to all...
Arthur
Appreciate 0