02-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #30
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
a little occasional hard driving on the street isnt really what i would call hard use of a sports car. i also wouldnt consider the 1m a sports car, but that is neither here nor there.

i dont think you can feel the extra 20lbs, especially not in the type of driving you are talking about.

what i do think is that in that type of driving, it is proven in logs all over this forum and other forums that you will likely be encountering timing drops and pre-detonation to possibly detonation events with the stock FMIC even on the stock tune.

the much lower IAT and resistence to heat soak gained from a 5 inch FMIC massively outweighs whatever possible negatives gained from an addiitonal 10-20lbs over the stock FMIC.

i still firmly believe there is no way you can notice any negative effects from 10-20 lbs added on the street driving like that.

I also think its a major mistake to assume all is good under the hood by "feeling" like there are no negative effects from the stock FMIC. Real proof comes from datalogging. You will absolutely take stress off your engine and run smoother in those, or any, conditions with an upgraded FMIC.
Fair enough, maybe I really can't feel everything going on as you say. By the way, I don't assume everything is good under the hood, for example I changed the charge pipe before it popped or cracked even though I am with stock boost level. Other parts of the car that I was confident that an upgrade is necessary were also changed.

And don't blame me, without a real track around that's all I could possibly do (not even legally) with a car like 1M!

I am probably over-sensitive with weight and throttle response related issues, and not keen to do anything which may have the slightest negative effect on those. Much like how I feel about my own body: loose weight and stay sharp after 40 years old
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0