03-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
In regards to the loss of turn in response with the PSS's... did you go with XL rated sidewalls? When I bought my PS3's last year (over here in Germany) Michelin makes the same tire with and without the XL rated sidewalls. I was told this is for better turnin response AND to compesate when switching from RFT to non-RFT's. Just a thought.

Dack
I think the PSS at the stock 1M sizes come only XL anyway so that can't be the source of his problem. The tires are absolutely identical in technical numbers with PS2s of the M3 and 1M, PSS are very slightly lighter and different thread life, that's it. I checked every single specification versus each other before I bought my set.

I don't know how many miles he had on them but mine are getting better in every way, as expected. I just can't say it for sure about the "sharpness" and turn-in issue since I did not track these tires and didn't have a drop of rain here since December (I am with the PSS since new year and around 1100-1150 kms on them).

His very good and more comprehensive impressions (compared to my old thread on PSS with the 1M) almost totally confirm my impressions about this tire, as I always said that BMW's choice of not putting PSS as stock tire can only be explained by a) tires were really not ready at the time of pre-production like one M engineer or executive once stated, b) it was too easy and cheap to go with the M3 Competition Pack stocks, commercial logic and c) Who wants (or wanted) a 1M performing better than a stock M3? And probably all of these alternative explanations were correct.

Thanks for the post Pete, please tell more about your next tire pressures, in fact I also feel that PSS seem to need different pressures than PS2, just didn't start experimenting yet.
Appreciate 0